Sunday, February 6, 2011

What is a blog?

Blogging is a new thing for me. I started a blog for when I was leaving for my semester abroad in Cairo, Egypt to keep my friends and family updated on my whereabouts. I've learned blogging can become much more than simply updating whereabouts. They can be a great tool for the spread of information and thoughts. What initially was a personal journal of mine for everyone to read soon became a forum for me to make people around me aware about the turmoil going on in Egypt during the beginnings of their revolution. I valued the ability for my blog to show the human side of a political conflict because that is what I feel most connected with now. I am looking forward to exploring what blogging can provide for the sharing of an important dialogue on both a person and political level. It has and will continue to become (in my opinion) one of the most important means of social media in our society. Now news and information is not a monopoly of the studios, papers and networks, it can be brought back to the people. There are both great benefits as well as downfalls to this. A benefit is that it offers a faster spread of info from the people to the people but a serious downfall is the spread of uneducated or assumed information. These are things to be wary of when one reads and chooses to believe a blogger's post. Regardless, I look forward to exploring this medium of dialogue more within this course as well as in my own interests in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment