Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Dickinson ROTC urges for productive dialogue

My friend, a member of Dickinson ROTC posted this video in response to both a YouTube video posted against ROTC and the Osama death rallies as well as in response to having his house (the ROTC house) broken into and scattered with hurtful and accusatory signs. I think he states the problem and the need for dialogue very well. I wish it was more videos like this that represented Dickinson, rather than the unfortunate footage of the celebrations.


I would sincerely urge anyone who has been angered or upset by the reactions to Osama bin Laden's death to talk to him and other members of ROTC. I think open dialogue (truly open, not just pretending to be open) is important on both sides of this issue. I think this video reaches out in a very respectful way.

Those in the opposition who posted the original video have removed it. I kind of wish it were still up so I could see that statement as well, but perhaps in retrospect, the makers of the video were not proud of its content.

I myself feel fairly middle of the road on this event. I was not out there screaming or celebrating, though I understood it, and I also was not one to angrily voice my disgust, though I felt some of that as well. I have friends on both side.

I have been more impressed by the conversations I've had in all my classes about the event on Sunday May 1st than by the event itself. I have heard people with dissenting opinions speak so eloquently about their position rather than spewing hateful rhetoric (which I mentioned in my last post). I wish these conversations could be the videos and images that represent us. People have become more reflective since the event and I am proud to see a true dialogue taking place. I hope it continues and I am able to take part in it further. It is a great chance for our campus to grow and I am seeing people take advantage of that. Please be one of the helpers, not an agitator, it does not mean you have to give up any of your beliefs, just to listen.

I could do well in following my own advice as well.


4 comments:

  1. Great to see the conversation emerging in a more mature way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have been more impressed by the conversations I've had in all my classes about the event on Sunday May 1st than by the event itself. I have heard people with dissenting opinions speak so eloquently about their position rather than spewing hateful rhetoric (which I mentioned in my last post). I wish these conversations could be the videos and images that represent us."

    I've heard a lot more of this too recently and agree that these should definitely be the conversations that represent us. I think if we could all take a few lessons from the things we discussed in class on Thursday, we will be much more effective communicators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire the measured and thoughtful response of Cadet Quinn. It must have been difficult, while feeling under attack, to rise above his emotions and chose to reach out and try to find common ground and appeal to our common humanity. Thanks Daisy, for posting it and for posting all of your own ambiguity of thought. It is really helpful to remember that we should all take a breath and appeal to our better natures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this Daisy. There was actually a sustained dialogue today with people on both sides of this issue. I couldn't attend due to a meeting, but I will talk to my friend who went and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete